ATM/Debit Card Security
First New Mexico Bank, Las Cruces wants to make sure you have all the information you need in order to keep yourself and your money safe. Follow these tips and above all, always be aware of your surroundings and the people in them.
- Treat your card like cash. Keep it in a safe place.
- Keep your personal identification number (PIN) a secret.
- Do not disclose card information over the phone to anyone. No one needs to know your PIN, not even your financial institution.
- Report a lost or stolen card at once.
- Carefully review your account statements.
Point-of-Sale (POS) Security:
- Never allow the cashier or anyone else to enter your PIN for you, even if they are assisting you with the transaction.
- Block the view of others when using a POS terminal.
- Be sure the transaction is complete and you have received a receipt before leaving.
- If you received cash back, put it away before leaving the terminal.
- When using an outdoor POS terminal such as at a gas station, observe your surroundings before making a transaction. If anything looks suspicious, leave the area at once.
- It is a good idea to take someone with you when using an outdoor POS terminal at night.
- If anyone follows you after you have completed your POS transaction, go immediately to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
Preventing Debit Card Fraud:
- Sign the signature panel on your debit card as soon as you receive it.
- Memorize your PIN (Personal Identification Number). Don’t carry your PIN in your wallet or anywhere else .
- Be sure your debit card is returned after a purchase and that it is indeed your card.
- Don’t leave your debit card receipts at the checkout counter. Always take your charge slips and tear up any carbons.
- Save your receipts. Check them against your monthly billing or account statements to make sure you can identify all of your transactions. Report any unauthorized transactions immediately. After you have reconciled your billing statements, tear up all receipts and discard them at home.
- Check statements and watch your charges. Verify that your monthly statement reflects the amount you authorized and watch for multiple charges. Be cautious when giving your card number over the phone.
- Never leave your purse or wallet unattended and always keep your cards out of plain sight.
- Never lend your card to anyone. Your debit card is your responsibility. Periodically check to make sure you have all your cards.
- In a separate location, keep a list of account numbers and telephone numbers to call if your cards are lost or stolen.
- Keep your statements in a safe place where unauthorized people will not have access to them.
Walk-Up ATM Security:
- Observe the ATM surroundings before approaching a walk-up ATM. If anyone or anything appears to be suspicious, cancel your transaction and leave the area at once.
- If an ATM is obstructed from view or poorly lit, go to another ATM. It is a good idea to take along a companion when using an ATM, especially at night.
- Minimize time spent at the ATM by having your card out and ready to use. Do not let anyone see how much money you withdrew and never count your money at the ATM.
- Never allow a stranger to assist you in conducting an ATM transaction, even if you have trouble or if your card is stuck.
- Stand between the ATM and anyone waiting to use the terminal so that others cannot see your PIN or transaction amount.
- Look for possible fraudulent devices attached to the ATM. If the ATM looks different or appears to have any alterations or attachments to the card slot or PIN pad, do not use it.